- 1). Add 1 quart of water, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of salt, and preferred seasonings to the pot. Garlic, chilies, and lemon are ideal for shellfish, if desired add about 1 tsp. of each.
- 2). Bring the ingredients to a simmer over medium heat, and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- 3). Let the brining liquid cool.
- 4). Remove the shell from the shellfish.
- 5). Add the brining liquid to the large bowl or tub, then add the shellfish.
- 6). Soak the fish for at least 30 minutes; and up to eight hours. Let the shellfish rest for about 30 minutes before you begin to cook.